Naked in the Rain: ‘Jesus’ Descends on New York Park, Turns Drained Fountain Into Shrine | INTERNATIONAL
Connect with us
                               

Published

on

The man, who appears to be peaceful despite his mental issues, has been living in the park since May, according to his own words. New York’s homeless outreach officials have failed to remove the preacher, despite complaints from local residents.

A homeless man who claims to be a manifestation of Jesus Christ has settled in the famous fountain in New York City’s Washington Square Park and turned it into an “altar to God”, the New York Post reports.

The squatter was photographed on Saturday taking a (completely) naked shower in the rain undeterred; he was later seen covering himself with a sarong as officials looked on from beyond the fence.

He has been identified as Matthew Mishefski, 25, who comes from Pennsylvania and has been living in New York since 2017.

SEE PHOTOS BELOW

Mishefski, who calls himself the “Son of God Lord Saviour Jesus Christ”, says he has been living in the drained fountain since May. His makeshift home includes a table, several chairs, a recliner, a box of clothes, and a beach umbrella. The man has been rambling – sometimes obscene – prayers at passers-by.

Mishefski told the NY Post that he has autism and has checked into psychiatric wards multiple times. He also said that he had been going in and out of city shelters until November 2017, but chose to live on the streets because it was safer there.

“People bring in knives, weapons, they say they’re going to hurt you if you say something they don’t like, if you look at them”, he recounted. “I had a staff member pull a knife on me”.

City authorities, including NYPD officers and homeless outreach workers, have tried to convince Mishefski to leave his makeshift shrine after numerous 311 calls, but he declined. Homelessness in New York City is not a crime, and the Department of Homeless Services explained that he cannot be removed forcibly because he is not presenting a risk to himself or others or breaking the law.

However, the living “Jesus” was reportedly arrested earlier this month and charged with criminal trespass and failure to comply with signs. He was released without bail, pending trial on 14 September, according to the NY Post.

Share Post
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

INTERNATIONAL

Kanye West Reportedly Withdraws From US Presidential Race

Published

on

Kanye West has reportedly withdrawn from the US presidential race, less than two weeks after announcing that he would run.

It appears that the rapper’s journey to the White House has officially ended. According to a source who worked closely with him to get his name on the ballots in Florida, Kanye has decided to drop out of the race.

In an interview with Steve Kramer, who is a get-out-the-vote specialist running a firm that helps candidates get on the ballot—he confirmed that he had been hired to help Kanye get on the presidential voting ballots in both Florida and South Carolina. Kramer stated that Ye’s team was “working over the weekend formalizing things that they’ve got to do when you have a lot of corporate lawyers involved.”

Kramer then stated that things appeared to be going positively to get him the required amount of signatures to get on the ballot, saying “we had overwhelming support to get him on the ballot. They got a lot of people who they’ve got both on their volunteer side and their contracted side.”

However, just a short time later when Kramer was contacted to give a follow-up statement regarding Kanye’s progress in the race, he simply replied with “he’s out.” When asked further about the details of Kanye’s presidential end, Kramer said “I’ll let you know what I know once”

Share Post
  •  
  • 45
  • 43
  •  
  • 43
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
    131
    Shares
Continue Reading

INTERNATIONAL

Duchess Camilla wears Meghan Markle’s favourite electric blue – and it looks incredible

Published

on

MARLBOROUGH, ENGLAND – JULY 14: Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall smiles during a visit to the Youth Action Wiltshire Oxenwood Outdoor Activity Centre near Marlborough where she is meeting young carers and reopening the centre, which has been shut during the coronavirus lockdown on July 14, 2020 in Marlborough, England. (Photo by Ben Birchall – WPA Pool/Getty Images)

The Duchess of Cornwall looked beautiful in blue at her latest outing! The royal stepped out in Wiltshire for another public engagement on Tuesday, wearing a bold and bright dress – which we think looks very similar to the gorgeous shade that the Duchess of Sussex also loves to wear. Camilla wore the outfit to the Oxenwood Outdoor Education Centre in Marlborough, and it looks as though the zip-up silhouette is a new favourite – since she also owns a similar dress in denim.

The Duchess met with young carers during her visit, and learned about the support offered to vulnerable young carers through a range of outdoor activities that help to develop skills and build self-esteem and confidence.

After formally reopening the centre following the coronavirus lockdown, she said: “I would just like to say a huge thank you to young carers because you all do the most brilliant job.”

The Duchess also owns a similar dress in denim

“I am so thrilled that you are able to come here and use this centre for your activities,” she added. “I just want to say how grateful everybody is for all you do as I know how hard it’s been, especially over lockdown. To be able to come here and enjoy yourselves is so important.”

She teamed her electric blue outfit with her tan court shoes, beautiful pearl earrings and her trendy new Fitbit watch, which we’re just a little bit in love with! We bet she’s been tracking plenty of steps with her newly-packed diary.

Camilla also added a Fitbit watch to her outfit

No doubt Camilla will be using her exercise tracker for her ballet sessions at home, which she does for 20 minutes every morning. Just last week, Prince Charles’ wife opened up about her love of ballet when speaking on the Emma Barnett Show on BBC Radio 5 Live.

Share Post
  •  
  • 45
  • 43
  •  
  • 43
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
    131
    Shares
Continue Reading

INTERNATIONAL

Queen Elizabeth’s own brand of Buckingham Palace gin goes on sale

Published

on

Queen Elizabeth is selling her own brand of dry gin made from ingredients picked from the grounds of Buckingham Palace.

Queen Elizabeth II is selling her own brand of botanical dry gin.

The official Buckingham Palace product is made of ingredients handpicked from the British monarch’s gardens at her world famous London residence.

The tipple is made up of one part gin and two parts fortified wife, and is best served with ice and a slice of lemon, which is believed to be how the 94-year-old royal – who celebrated her birthday with a military parade at Windsor Castle amid the coronavirus lockdown in June – likes to enjoy her gin just before lunch.

The liquor is made up of 12 botanicals in total, including lemon verbena, hawthorn berries, bay leaves and mulberry leaves, and is described as ”the perfect summer thirst-quencher”.

The product description reads: ”The recommended serving method is to pour a measure of the gin into an ice-filled short tumbler before topping up with tonic and garnishing with a slice of lemon.”

The gin is available for £40 online and the profits from every bottle sold will go to The Royal Collection Trust, a charity and department of the Royal Household.

It’s also set to be served at all future Buckingham Palace events.

The Queen’s former chef Darren McGrady previously spilled on which alcoholic beverages the Queen enjoys.

He said: ”She likes a gin and Dubonnet. That’s her favourite drink.”

Meanwhile, Her Majesty’s former butler Grant Harold previously debunked a myth that members of the royal family drink cups of tea with their pinky finger in the air.

He said in 2018: ”I am sure the Queen enjoys her Assam or her Earl Grey the traditional way, made with tea leaves in a teapot and poured into a fine bone china teacup. She will also use a strainer. It is also a myth that members of Royalty use their pinky when drinking, I have never seen that happen once.”

Share Post
  •  
  • 45
  • 43
  •  
  • 43
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
    131
    Shares
Continue Reading

INTERNATIONAL

Kanye West is polling at 2% in the latest US presidential poll

Published

on

Kanye West is polling at just 2% in one of the first national polls to be taken among voters in the US since the rapper first announced his intention to run for the presidency this year.

West confirmed his candidacy on Twitter earlier this month, with his campaign attracting early support from Elon Musk. The Tesla CEO has since walked back his endorsement of West following controversial comments the rapper made in a Forbes interview.

West’s hopes of reaching the White House have been dealt another blow in the form of a new national poll, which found that only 2% of voters would consider voting for him in November’s presidential election.

Redfield & Wilton Strategies polled 2,000 registered voters in the US last week (July 9) to gauge the country’s current voting intentions. Joe Biden is out in front with 48%, while the incumbent Donald Trump is polling at 39%.

West is joint-third with the Libertarian Party’s Jo Jorgensen, with the two racking up just 2% each. You can see the result of Redfield & Wilton Strategies’ poll below.

A number of notable names in the entertainment world have already had their say on West’s unlikely run for the White House, with Jamie Foxx, Katy Perry and Will.i.am all voicing their concerns over his bid.

Share Post
  •  
  • 45
  • 43
  •  
  • 43
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
    131
    Shares
Continue Reading

ENTERTAINMENT

Naya Rivera fans told not to join search for missing Glee star amid safety fears

Published

on

Officials have warned fans to refrain from helping with Naya Rivera ‘s search operation after the actress was reported missing last Wednesday.

The Glee star was last seen getting on a pontoon boat with her son, Josey, around 1pm on Wednesday afternoon, but hours later, someone else who was on the water raised the alarm after they found the four-year-old asleep on the vessel with his mother nowhere to be seen.

Social media has been flooded with comments and messages from users, but police have warned fans against trying to join in the search.

They tweeted: “For those intent on searching for Naya Rivera on your own, 1. The lake is closed. 2. Temps are already in the 90’s. 3. The terrain around the lake is very steep and rugged.

“Our teams are well equipped and highly trained. We don’t want to have to rescue you.

Naya Rivera was reported missing last Wednesday afternoon after she vanished during a boating trip (Image: Getty Images for Libertine)

Meanwhile, Heather Morris, who starred on Glee alongside Naya, offered her support and said she was trying to conduct “an on-foot” as Naya remains missing.

An extensive search of the lake, involving divers, cadaver dogs and sonar to scan the bottom of the lake, which has poor visibility and in some places is 100 feet (30 meters) deep, has so far turned up no sign of the 33-year-old.

Taking to social media, Ventura Co. Sheriff wrote: “Today’s search operation at Lake Piru is winding down. The mission will resume Sunday morning in the ongoing effort to locate Naya Rivera.

The actress replied: “My name is Heather Morris, I’m Nayas close friend and co-worker, and I’m trying to conduct an on foot search and rescue mission along with a small group of friends at Lake Piru.

“I understand your team is doing EVERYTHING in their power, but we are feeling helpless, powerless and want to help in any way. I have left a message with the Department of Rescue and Air today, and I will call again tomorrow. Thank you.”

Hours later, she tweeted: “I have spoken to Sheriff Eric Buschow and rest assured they are using every single one of their resources to locate our Naya. I have full confidence that they’re doing everything they can, and probably more. We will hold off on the citizen search and rescue until we get the go ahead that they’ll allow volunteers.”

Heather Morris offered her support to help with the search operation (Image: Getty Images North America)

Naya was last seen boarding the pontoon boat on Lake Piru on Wednesday afternoon but vanished hours later.

The Ventura County Sheriff’s Department has not found Naya Rivera as of Sunday afternoon, local time.

It has been reported the search will continue until Tuesday 14 July.

Share Post
  •  
  • 56
  • 45
  •  
  • 45
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
    146
    Shares
Continue Reading

INTERNATIONAL

18-Year-Old Dies After Rescuing 2 Friends Who ‘Encountered Trouble’ While Swimming in Ocean

Published

on

“He would do things for you, so it’s not far out there that he did this,” his brother Mark Alston said

The loved ones of a New York teen have been left heartbroken after he died while heroically rescuing two of his friends who were having trouble swimming in rocky ocean waters.

Jalan Alston went missing on Friday after jumping into the ocean to save two of his friends who “encountered trouble in the water” at Ventnor Beach in New Jersey, according to a press release from the U.S. Coast Guard.

A search for the 18-year-old was conducted by the U.S. Coast Guard and later suspended following more than 12 hours, but family members told USA Today that his body was eventually recovered.

“He would do things for you, so it’s not far out there that he did this,” his brother Mark Alston told the outlet. “He’s not here because he wanted to save people.”

According to the Coast Guard, the search began on Friday around 7 p.m. after receiving a report of a 911 call from a woman who said “she and another friend made it to shore after an 18-year-old male member of their party assisted them by swimming and pushing them towards land after they encountered trouble in the water.”

Coast Guard personnel, along with the Ventnor City Police Department, immediately responded to the incident and set out to look for Jalan over air, land and sea, the press release stated.

Jalan Alston

Officials searched 58-square-miles over 13 hours before announcing on Saturday that they had suspended the search for the missing swimmer, pending development of new information.

“Our deepest condolences go out to the family and friends of Jalan,” Capt. Jonathan Theel, commander of Coast Guard Sector Delaware Bay, said in a statement. “It’s always difficult to suspend a case and it weighs especially heavy on our hearts knowing that he was helping others.”

On Monday, the U.S. Coast Guard confirmed to PEOPLE that the Ventnor Police Department in New Jersey recovered Jalan’s body at approximately 10 p.m. on Saturday, just hours after the search was suspended.

Speaking to USA Today, Mark explained that the tragedy unfolded as a result of the rocky waters from Tropical Storm Fay.

He called his younger brother “really caring” and full of potential, noting how he recently graduated from George Westinghouse High School in Brooklyn, wanted to pursue a career in engineering, and was planning to take the civil service exam in the fall.

Following the tragedy, a GoFundMe page for Jalan’s family was set up by Jayda Smith, one of the friends who was rescued in the rocky waters.

“Jalan Alston saved both me and Sierra’s lives from the rip current off the Jersey shore,” she wrote on the page. “He selflessly and almost instinctively jumped into the current after me, pushed me out and got me to shore. He then tried to get back to the shore with Sierra’s help, but to no prevail.”

“He understood what was happening, grabbed her wrist and shook his head, then with a push sent her to the shore with me using his last bit of strength he had,” she continued. “It’s because of him that I am here, sharing his story to the world.”

Smith said Jalan had “such a beautiful soul and spirit, heart and mind,” and noted that because he “gave me a second chance” she would be using it “to make his life, his legacy rememberable, starting here.”

Since launching the page on Sunday evening, it has raised over $5,000 — funds which Smith said will go towards helping Jalan’s family “create a beautiful funeral for him.”

“Jalan will forever be in our hearts and our minds; we promise to make him proud. Rest easy, Jalan Alston,” she wrote.

Share Post
  •  
  • 56
  • 45
  •  
  • 34
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
    135
    Shares
Continue Reading

Trending