Nigeria Records 14 New COVID-19 Cases, Total Infections Now 288 |
Connect with us
                               
Shechin Dashe

Published

on

The Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) has confirmed 14 new cases of coronavirus in the country.

This brings the total number of COVID-19 infections recorded in the country so far to 288.

The NCDC confirmed the latest figure – which rose from 276 – in a tweet on Thursday evening.

Of the 14 cases, 13 were confirmed in Lagos while Delta recorded a new case – bringing the total confirmed case in the south-south state to two.

With the new confirmed cases, Lagos which has been described as the epicentre of COVID-19 in Nigeria now has 158 infections.

The figure in Lagos is almost three times the number of infections in Abuja, the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), which has 54 cases of coronavirus.

Others states where COVID-19 cases have been confirmed are Osun – 20, Edo – 12, Oyo – 11, Bauchi – six, Akwa Ibom – five, Kaduna – five, Ogun – four, Enugu – two, Ekiti – two, Rivers – two, Kwara – two, Delta – two, Benue – one, Ondo – one, and Katsina – one.

The NCDC also revealed that as of 9:30pm on April 9, 51 patients had been discharged with seven deaths recorded.

It added that two new infections were erroneously reported in Bauchi as a further review showed that the cases were repeat tests for previously confirmed cases.

The health agency apologised for the error and promised to remain committed to ensuring transparent and accurate reporting of test results of COVID-19 cases.

Meanwhile, Governor Bala Mohammed of Bauchi State who was infected about two weeks ago has tested negative for coronavirus (COVID-19).

The governor, who was among the newly discharged persons, disclosed his current health status in tweets posted via his verified Twitter handle.

He thanked the people of the state, as well as religious leaders in Bauchi and elsewhere for their support and prayers while he was in isolation.

The governor also thanked the NCDC and the team of health experts in Bauchi tackling coronavirus for their efforts in curtailing the spread of the disease.

Share Post
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

INTERNATIONAL

Kanye West plans to run for president against Donald Trump under new banner

Shechin Dashe

Published

on

Kanye West withdrew his support for current U.S. President Donald Trump after he announced his plan to run for president in 2020 under a new banner.

West, previously a vocal ally of Trump, revealed that he will no longer be his supporter as he had entered the presidential race against him. He alluded to Trump’s signature “Make America Great Again” red baseball cap when he told Forbes that he is “taking the red hat off.”

“Like anything I’ve ever done in my life. I’m going to win,” the rapper said in an exclusive phone interview with Forbes Chief Content Officer Randall Lane.

West has 30 days to finalise his decision to run for U.S. president. He said he has the COVID-19 pandemic as his reason if ever he misses the filing deadline in most states.

The 43-year-old entrepreneur outlined his plans for his presidential bid and revealed that he has been “speaking with experts.” He said he also wants to discuss his decision with Ivanka Trump’s husband Jared Kushner, Joe Biden and the White House.

West has no specific campaign plans laid out yet, but he is relying on his supporters for guidance; one is his wife Kim Kardashian and the other is Tesla founder Elon Musk.

“We’ve been talking about this for years,” he said of Musk’s support.

West initially planned to run for president in 2024 but that has since changed. He is more than determined to do it this year under a new slogan: “YES!” and a new banner: “The Birthday Party.” When asked why he chose the banner, he explained: “Because when we win, it’s everybody’s birthday.”

Read Also ; Prime Suspect star John Benfield dies.

As for his running mate, West chose Michelle Tidball, a preacher from Wyoming. He also revealed that he “would run as a Republican if Trump wasn’t there” and “as an independent if Trump is there.”

“Let’s see if the appointing is at 2020 or if it’s 2024—because God appoints the president. If I win in 2020 then it was God’s appointment. If I win in 2024 then that was God’s appointment,” he said of how the U.S. presidential race will be decided.

West broke the internet on Sunday when he announced his decision to run for U.S. president in a tweet. He called it his “#2020VISION.”

Share Post
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
    100
    Shares
Continue Reading

ENTERTAINMENT

Prime Suspect star John Benfield dies

Shechin Dashe

Published

on

The ‘Prime Suspect’ star – whose real name was John Turner – passed away at a hospice on June 16th after battling a rare cancer.

John’s agents Markham, Froggatt & Irwin told the Oxford Mail newspaper: “[John brought a] truth and integrity to his roles and was an imposing, strong and rugged figure, with a soul and belief in his craft.”

Actor is best known for playing Detective Superintendent Michael Kernan in the ITV police procedural series opposite Dame Helen Mirren, who portrayed lead character Detective Chief Inspector Jane Tennison.

The show – which also featured Mark Strong, Ralph Fiennes, Peter Capaldi, Lesley Sharp, Robert Glenister, and Zoë Wanamaker – was devised by Lynda La Plante and ran from 1996 to 2006.

It saw Helen’s character regularly battle sexism in the police force. But she rose up the ranks to become a Detective Superintendent in Greater London’s Metropolitan Police Service.

Some of John’s earlier roles saw him appear in BBC adaptations of ‘The Winter’s Tale’ and ‘The Day of the Triffids’, and as well as TV shows, John also appeared in a number of films.

He played a prison officer in 1993 movie ‘In the Name of the Father’ – which featured Daniel Day-Lewis and Emma Thompson – and he starred alongside Phil Collins and Julie Walters in 1988 crime comedy ‘Buster’.

One of John’s most recent roles saw him play a barman in 2013 motion picture ‘The Best Offer’, which featured Geoffrey Rush, Jim Sturgess, Sylvia Hoeks, and Donald Sutherland.

John also appeared in numerous TV comedies, such as ‘The Worst Week of My Life’, and alongside Simon Pegg in ‘Hippies. He starred as a general – opposite Sean Bean – in drama ‘Sharpe’s Revenge’.

Share Post
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
    58
    Shares
Continue Reading

ENTERTAINMENT

Ed Sheeran ‘wants to buy out’ owners of three houses that sit on the edge of his £3.7m estate

Shechin Dashe

Published

on

Ed Sheeran is said to be ‘desperate’ to complete his £3.7million estate by buying three more homes to add to the already palatial home

The Shape of You singer, 29, wants to purchase the homes to “neaten up” his estate because their gardens encroach on his land, according to The Sun.

He has slowly been accumulating the land around his palatial home in his hometown of Framlingham, Suffolk, turning it into what has become known locally as ‘Sheeranville’.

Ed owns five of the properties on the land, which with all the buildings is thought to be worth around £3.7million.

But two bungalows and a larger two-storey home with huge gardens are in the middle of his estate.

The hitmaker, whose worth is thought to be around £200million, is said to be “desperate” to complete his estate.

It’s claimed he has let his three neighbours know that he would like first refusal if they do decide to sell.

A source told the site: “The homeowners know that Ed will give them the best price if and when they decide to move on.

“The homes are right in the middle of Ed’s land on the main road, so it will just neaten everything up if he can get his hands on all three over the coming years.”

The source added: “The gardens of the homes jut into the middle of fields owned by Ed and mean that he must take the long way round if he wants to visit a lake on at the far edge of his property.”

Share Post
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
    90
    Shares
Continue Reading

Trending